Did you know that many of the spices used during the autumn and winter months can actually help boost our immunity and improve our digestion? Here is what you should be adding to your favourite dishes so you can feel at your best:
1. Nutmeg - originating in Indonesia and derived from a tree now found in the Carribean and South India, nutmeg is a high mineral spice, containing zinc, potassium and magnesium that can help protect against cold and flu.
2. Ginger - one of the best known anti - inflammatory and digestive aids, it contains the active compound gingerol which can help with nausea, indigestion or vomiting. It brings relief of joint pain and inflammation, as well as protects us against flu and infections.
3. Turmeric - it has high anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral properties, packed with antioxidants (read our previous post about turmeric for more information!).
4. Star Anise - star anise comes from the fruit of a tree in China and can also be well used to treat flu and infections. It has antifungal and anti - candida properties and can be used to balance your sugar load, thus minimizing the risk of candida in your body.
5. Cardamom - the essential oil of cardamom is one of the few that has high amounts of manganese and iron. It has antiseptic properties and can be used topically to heal infections. It is also considered a digestive aid - boiling cardamom and ginger (also with other spices) turns out to be great for relieving digestive discomfort after dinner.
We say YES to healthy living! 🙌🏻What is your favourite spice?